Child Exploitation


Child Criminal Exploitation and Child Sexual Exploitation involves situations, contexts or relationships in which a person under 18 is given something, such as food, accommodation, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, affection, gifts or money in return for performing criminal or sexual activities or having sexual activities performed on them. It can also involve violence, coercion and intimidation, with threats of physical harm or humiliation.

If you are a victim of child exploitation or abuse, or are concerned for the safety and wellbeing of a child, see below for all the different ways you can report your concerns and get help. 

If someone is in immediate danger, call  999. Hearing and speech impaired used who are registered with the Emergency SMS Service can send a text to 999. 

Visit a police station to speak to an officer in person. 

Contact the NSPCC to speak to a professional practitioner.

Report to the safeguarding team at Grove Academy via: 

If you are a child, speak to someone you trust like a friend, teacher or another adult at school.

What to do if you know someone in immediate danger of FGM.

Contact the police if you think that a young girl is in immediate danger of FGM. You should also contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office if she’s already been taken abroad.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office: 020 7008 1500. To call from overseas:+44 (0)20 7008 1500

FGM Helpline: 0800 028 3550 or email

What to do if you suspect someone is being forced into marriage.

Forced marriage is when a child or adult faces physical pressure to marry (for example, threats, physical violence or sexual violence) or emotional and psychological pressure (eg if you’re made to feel like you’re bringing shame on your family).

See here for further information and support.

Contact the police or speak to a trusted member of staff at school.

Contact the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) if you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you’ve been forced into.

Forced Marriage Unit
Telephone: 020 7008 0151
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Out of hours: 020 7008 5000

These organisations  provide support for children, parents and carers dealing with the criminal and sexual exploitation of children.

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)
A national children's charity, preventing abuse and helping those affected to recover.

Safer London
A London charity specialising in supporting young people through violence and exploitation.

Parents Against Child Exploitation (PACE)
The leading national charity working with parents and carers of sexually exploited children.

A UK organisation campaigning against child trafficking and exploitation.

A service that allows you to pass on information about crime 100% anonymously.